Last week we reviewed why goals work and how to create them, but it’s still easy to fall for these three mistakes. Review your goals and use the strategies below to fix them as needed!
GOAL SETTING CHALLENGES & HOW TO FIX THEM
- Failure to set specific goals.
- Set specific numerical goals that can be assessed.
- Setting too many goals too soon.
- Too many goals are overwhelming and untrackable. Instead set 1-2 short term goals at a time.
- Failing to adjust your plan.
- Adjusting is part of the process. Lowering the goal is just like taking a knee, you’ll be back in the game in no time!
In a perfect world, you’d set ideal goals and pursue them without any interference, but that isn’t likely to happen! So how do you overcome obstacles? You take note of potential challenges and plan specific strategies.
- List benefits of regular exercise. This makes drawbacks seem less important.
- *Drawbacks are usually hassles, not real issues.
- Refuse drawbacks by replacing them with alternatives.
- Make a T Chart with three biggest obstacles and three practical alternatives.
It might seem like a lot at first, but goals point you in the direction of your dreams! So dream big, work hard, and make it happen!
If you’d like help setting your own goals, shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll set you up for success!