When you train with me we will use all forms of training as a progressive system to progress you to reach your goals. Three reasons I cycle you through different forms of training are:
- Physiologic Benefits
- Improves cardio respiratory efficiency
- Enhances hormone and cholesterol
- Increases metabolism
- Increases bone density
- Physical Benefits
- Decreases body fat
- Increases muscle
- Increases strength in muscles, tendons, and ligaments
- Performance Benefits
Each form has a purpose that gives you a systematic approach for reaching your goals.
Phases of Training
I use three different levels of training which are stabilization, strength, and power. Within each level there are smaller divisions of training phases.
Level 1 Stabilization Level:
The main focus of this form of training is to increase muscular endurance and stability while developing optimal neuromuscular efficiency (AKA Coordination). The difficulty is increased by challenging your balance and stabilization systems, rather than just increasing the load you’re using.
- Goals for clients at this level are toImprove muscular endurance
- Enhance joint stability
- Increase flexibility
- Enhance control of posture
- Improve balance, stabilization, and muscle coordination
- Training Strategies for clients at this level areTraining in an unstable, yet controllable environment
- Low loads (weight) and high repetitions
Level 2 Strength Level:
The main focus of this form of training is to increase muscle size (hypertrophy) and lifting heavy (maximal strength). The goal is to enhance stabilization endurance while increasing prime mover strength. Within Phase 2 you will use supersets, where you will perform two sets of similar exercises back-to-back without any rest time in between them. The reason for this is because we want to work the prime movers in the first exercise to elicit prime mover strength, then immediately follow that exercise by challenging the stabilization muscles. Clients who are working in Phase 3 will focus primarily on muscle growth, such as bodybuilders. Clients who are working in Phase 4 will focus on Maximal Strength Training by lifting heavy.
- Goals for clients at Level 2, Phase 2 areImprove stabilization and increase muscle strength
- Enhance joint stabilization
- Increase lean body mass
- Training Strategies for clients at Level 2, Phase 2 areModerate weights and repetitions (8-12)
- Supersets (one strength exercise followed by one stabilization exercise)
- Goals for clients at Level 2, Phase 3 areAchieve optimal levels if muscular hypertrophy
- Training Strategies for clients at Level 2, Phase 2 areHigh volume, moderate to high loads, moderate to low repetitions (6-12)
- Goals for clients at Level 2, Phase 4 areIncrease motor unit recruitment
- Increase frequency of motor unit recruitment
- Improve peak force
- Training Strategies for clients at Level 2, Phase 4 areHigh loads, low reps (1-5), and longer rest periods
Level 3 Power Level:
This level of training focuses on the development of speed and power. The goal of this level is to perform a traditional strength exercise with a heavy load and superset it with a power exercise with a lighter load as fast as possible. This trains the muscles to exert maximal amounts of force in a minimal amount of time (rate of force production).
- Goals for clients at Level 3, Phase 5 areEnhance neuromuscular efficiency
- Enhance prime mover strength
- Increase rate of force production
- Training Strategies for clients at Level 3, Phase 5 areSupersets (one strength exercise followed by one power exercise)
- Perform all power exercises as fast as can be controlled
3 Levels: stabilization, strength, and power.
Level 1 is comprised of Phase 1: Stabilization Endurance Training.
Level 2 is comprised of Phase 2: Strength Endurance, Phase 3: Hypertrophy Training, and Phase 4: Maximum Strength Training.
Level 3 is comprised of Phase 5: Power Training.
This type of training program provides an easy to follow, systematic approach that minimizes injury and maximizes results. It ensures that you will be properly and safely progressed to reach your goals!